[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #1838: Shouldn't cups proxy requests to ppd for printers found by a browsing protocol

Florian G. Pflug fgp at phlo.org
Thu Jul 13 04:16:09 PDT 2006

[STR New]

I'm running cups locally on my ubuntu/dapper machine. A local cups server
(Running on debian) announces the available printers.

Using the cups command-line programs I can query printers for options from
my ubuntu machine - but not from gnome-cups-manager.

After debugging this for a while, I discovered that lpoptions requests the
ppd _directly_ from the printserver, and not from the cupsd running
locally on my ubuntu machine. All other requests (even queu-status) seem
to run via the local cupsd. gnome-cups-manager tries requesting the ppd
from the locally running cups, which fails.

I was unsure wether to report this as a gnome-cups-manager bug, or as a
cups bug. But since _every_ request _apart_ from the ppd seems to run via
the local cupsd, I figured that cupsd probably should proxy requests to
the ppd-file too. So this is why I reported this here.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1838
Version: 1.2.1