Scheduler perfomance

Johan Bernhardsson johan at anykey.se
Thu Jul 13 04:36:46 PDT 2006

> Johan Bernhardsson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Im working with a quite odd setup of printers.
> >
> > We have two identical servers with quite alot of printer queues on.
> >
> > And the clients polls these servers and builds implicit classes of all printers.
> >
> > The problem is that builing these classes takes ALOT of time. About 1 second per per printer. (The client im testing with is a xeon 3.2ghz with 1gb of ram and fast scsi drives)
> >
> > I have notice quite alot improvments on performance for large queues on 1.2.x series. But it would be nice to get it faster.
> >
> > Any work being done on that or does anyone has thoughts about this ?
>
> Without details it is impossible to say.
>
> How many printers?
>
> What are BrowseInterval and BrowseTimeout set to on the client?
>
> What kind of hardware are you using on the clients and servers?
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

The servers are two dual xeon 3.06 ghz with 2gb of ram.
The test client right now is a single xeon of 3.2 ghz with 1gb of ram.
The network is switched gigabit ethernet.

The test im doing right now contains 2000 printer queues with BrowseIntervall/BrowsePollTimeout/BrowseTimeout set to 2500

The reason for this test is that we might add alot more printers to the system and we need to make sure that it is possible. Even tho i dont think that we will hit 2000 but 1500 is not impossible.

/Johan Bernhardsson