[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1837: printing a document named withumlaute by ipp doesn't work.

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Thu Jul 13 05:05:47 PDT 2006

Micha Glave wrote:
> [STR New]
>
> A printjob created with OpenOffice printing a 'SigTestÜ.odt' named
> document stays in queue for ever. The printer receives no data at all.
> After a while ipp wents crazy and consumes all proc-time.
>
> # ps -Af|grep ipp
> root     24037  5358  0 11:45 ?        00:00:00
> ipp://192.168.73.21:631/ipp 626 mig SigTestü 1 InputSlot=Middle
> PageSize=A4 job-uuid=urn:uuid:f9be7752-fe8d-3cba-77aa-2b94c3089e98
>
> If I rename the document in 'SigTest.odt' or sending the same namend doc
> to a printer by lpd://192.168.73.177/queue the document is printed.
>
> Maybe there is a problem in the ipp part?
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1837
> Version: 1.3-current

You didn't specify the printer(s) in question. AFAICT, the document name
goes into the job-name attribute, and I found recently that the Xerox DocuSP
implementation of IPP (which has been done nearly completely in java)
exhibits just this bug (see note below).

This bug is known to the vendor for a long time already, but a fix
is not probable.

You probably should file a STR for this issue.

Helge

Note: In the case I mentioned, the printer claims to support
iso8859-n (n >= 1) and utf-8 besides of plain ascii, but whatever
character set is specified in the IPP request, the software hangs
if the job name contains any byte > 127.

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung