Scheduler perfomance

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jul 13 06:29:47 PDT 2006

Johan Bernhardsson wrote:
> The servers are two dual xeon 3.06 ghz with 2gb of ram.
> The test client right now is a single xeon of 3.2 ghz with 1gb of ram.
> The network is switched gigabit ethernet.
>
> The test im doing right now contains 2000 printer queues with
 > BrowseIntervall/BrowsePollTimeout/BrowseTimeout set to 2500

OK, first, BrowsePollTimeout is not a valid configuration directive.

Second, BrowseTimeout MUST be greater than BrowseInterval for anything
to work properly.  We recommend using a timeout value at least twice
the interval value.

Third, by using such a large interval, CUPS automatically throttles
the rate to 1 per second (internally it sends number-printers/interval
printers per second, with a minimum of 1 per second).  If you set the
BrowseInterval to a smaller number (say 300) then you'll get the full
list of printers within that amount of time.

Finally, once the queues are all discovered, the client will remember
then unless they timeout (which will happen now because you have the
timeout and interval set to the same number...)  So the delay time is
only an issue on the first startup of the client.