[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #1850: GS using 800MB of VSZ memory for a 15KB eps file

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jul 19 16:25:10 PDT 2006

Thomas Heiserowski <th.heiserowski at gmail.com> wrote (Wednesday 19 July 2006 22:19):

> [STR New]
>
> I came accross some problems using eps files with gs. My system got _very_
> slow and the hard disk swapped continuously.
>
> I ran "watch -n 1 free -m" to see my physical memory decline within a few
> seconds. The system started swapping, of course, and everything got less
> responsive.
>
> I use app-text/ghostscript-esp-8.15.2_p20060520 on Gentoo compiled with
> USE="X cups gtk xml -cjk -emacs -threads".

  kurt at soprano:~> gs -v
    ESP Ghostscript 8.15.0 (2004-09-22)
    Copyright (C) 2004 artofcode LLC, Benicia, CA.  All rights reserved.

  kurt at soprano:~> time eps2eps alerts.eps alerts.distilled.eps
    real    0m0.654s
    user    0m0.240s
    sys     0m0.012s

No swapping whatsoever here. System is SUSE-10.0, package as shipped by
distro.

Similar result on a Debian, running AFPL Ghostscript 8.53.