cups-lpd with a space limited print spool

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jul 24 04:32:15 PDT 2006

Sebastian James wrote:
> Here is a patch to do this. It does it by keeping tabs on available
> space and pausing the cups-lpd process when there is not enough room.
> The code will only work reliably if you know a maximum size for your
> print jobs, so this is not a general purpose fix for everyone, rather
> a fix for our problem of printing many fixed or similar size print
> jobs in a production situation.

The issue with this approach is that you can't assume that a) the
temp directory and spool directory are on the same filesystem, and
b) that another process won't use that space up before you queue to
cupsd.

> Next, we're going to look into adding a compile time option to remove
> the necessity for temporary files from the data flow in cups, placing
> everything in memory and streaming jobs through the filter(s). Wish
> us luck!

Hopefully you have small jobs - we wouldn't be able to use that in
the official CUPS, where we sometimes see multi-gigabyte jobs...

> Here's the patch (with apologies for the fact that it has messed up
> indentation of comments):

Yeah, that makes it pretty much impossible to review the patch...