[cups.development] [RFE] STR #1869: Automatic '-o raw' for non-DSC-conforming PostScript?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jul 27 10:28:06 PDT 2006

John A. Murdie <john at cs.york.ac.uk> wrote (Thursday 27 July 2006 15:53):

> The only work-around I can think of is to set '-o raw' as an
> across-the-board default option (how would I do that?),

An "across-the-board default option" to print with "-o raw" is
"dangerous" for users who may be submitting non PostScript jobs
(text, images, PDF,...), and it also does work (for your purpose)
only for PostScript printers.

There are many, many, many different ways to do that :-)

Maybe the best way is to create a special instance for one (or all)
of your printers, where the instance has an easy recognizeable name
"/raw_ps" and is set up to do what its name suggests, and then let
users just pick that instance for printing when they have those
files.

To create an instance with a preset "-o raw" option:

  lpoptions -p my_printer/raw_ps -o raw

Check if the instance is visible:

  lpstat -p

See where instance names are tracked in CUPS 1.1.x:

  cat $HOME/.lpoptions       # if instance is created by user (1.1)
  cat $HOME/.cups/lpoptions  # if instance is created by user (1.2)
  cat /etc/cups/lpoptions    # if instance is created by root

Instances appear in the printer enumerations just like other printers;
KDE/kprinter will show them as well. They are distinguished from
the parent instance by a "/my_instance_name" extension.

> but would it be
> possible instead to make `-o raw' automatic for non-DSC-conforming
> PostScript?

Probably only if you succeed to define the rules in mime.convs/types
to recognize this type of PS and to then handle it.

You could tell it to never use pstops for all mime types of
"application/postscript". In /etc/cups/mime.convs use this line

  application/postscript  application/vnd.cups-postscript  66  -

instead of this one:

  application/postscript  application/vnd.cups-postscript  66  pstops

(use at your own risk!)

Cheers,
Kurt