Username mapping (and samba)

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jun 1 14:19:12 PDT 2006

> hi,
>
> i have the problem, that some machines write the username like FOO or
> Foo instead of foo. So my pdf printer can't put the file in Users
> home/foo .

*Which* PDF printer are you using?

If you are using one with a self-written backend script, you'll have to
adapt it yourself and map the capitalized usernames Windows hands over
to lowercase ones....

> I tried via IPP from XP, but windows sends Foo. On W98, windows sends
> the username FOO (via samba).

If you are using Samba -- are you also using winbind to authenticate
your users against an AD or other Domain Controller? In that case, you
can set it up in a way that using "getent passwd usErnaME" will work for
whatever mix of capitalization the username is in.

> Is there a way, to map the username to lowercace?

Not by CUPS; but you can take care of this yourself (if your PDF
"printer" source is under your own control).

> cu denny

Cheers,
Kurt