[cups.general] CUPS doesn't print PCL files

Stefan-Michael. Guenther (in-put GbR) S.Guenther at in-put.de
Sat Jun 3 02:22:14 PDT 2006

Hi list members,

I have an old DOS application that only produces PCL files as output and
stores these files on a samba share.

The fax server (bitkit/FAX) that should send this output expects postscript
files.

Therefore I installed a printer on the samba server that prints it's output
into a file. Here is the configuration of this printer:

<Printer donotuse2>
Info
Location lokal
DeviceURI file:/tmp/fax.ps
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

When I use the command

lpr -Pdonotuse2 /etc/motd

I get the expected file fax.ps in /tmp

But when I use the PCL file as input, nothing happens. I already set

LogLevel debug2

in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and monitored the cupsd process with strace but I
could find an error message, everything looks pretty normal.

I you would like to have a look at the file, here it is:

http://www.in-put.de/fax.pcl

BTW:
file fax.pcl
fax.pcl: HP PCL printer data