printer fault! no idea what may be wrong

Mario S. Mommer mommer at moss-clad.net
Sun Jun 4 10:41:25 PDT 2006

> Mario S. Mommer <mommer at moss-clad.net> wrote (Sunday 04 June 2006 17:46):
>
> > I am on ubuntu 6.06, trying to print on a HP laserjet 1005.
> I am not very much familiar with that printer. Is that one of the
> Zenographics-based printers?

Yes

> > I use the
> > foo2zjs drivers (not from ubuntu, but installed from the web site
> > http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/) and it just does not work.
>
> Which PPD did you install? What is the result of the command
>
>   "grep cupsFilter /etc/cups/ppd/*.ppd"

That prints

*cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 foomatic-rip"

The PPD I am using is the one bundled with the foo2zjs distribution from the above site, which, as we'll see in a moment, works correctly.

> ? I suspect you are using a "Foomatic"-driver. For Foomatic-related
> support questions, the forums at Linuxprinting.org
>
>   http://linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi
>
> is a better address; CUPS.org is not involved in the development of
> Foomatic-based stuff.

I *think* I am having the problem with cups, not with the foomatic drivers (please let me know if I am wrong). But the foomatic driver works. So for instance

"foomatic-rip --ppd temp/foo2zjs/PPD/HP-LaserJet_1005.ppd test.ps > /dev/usb/lp0"

does indeed print the test.ps file. (this .ppd file is the same that got installed in /etc/cups/ppd. Just checked with diff).

Further down is my printers.conf file - maybe the problem is there? I didn't change the cupsd.conf file that came with ubuntu.

Regards, and thanks,

          Mario.

----printers.conf:
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.2.0
# Written by cupsd on 2006-06-04 19:08
<Printer hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1>
Info hp LaserJet 1005 series
Location Local Printer
DeviceURI usb://HP/LaserJet%201005%20series
State Idle
StateTime 1149440918
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes