printer fault! no idea what may be wrong

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sun Jun 4 12:31:40 PDT 2006

Mario S. Mommer <mommer at moss-clad.net> wrote (Sunday 04 June 2006 19:41):

> I *think* I am having the problem with cups, not with the foomatic drivers
> (please let me know if I am wrong). But the foomatic driver works. So for
> instance
>
> "foomatic-rip --ppd temp/foo2zjs/PPD/HP-LaserJet_1005.ppd test.ps >
> /dev/usb/lp0"
>
> does indeed print the test.ps file.

In this case, the device URI which is used by your CUPS for that printer
may be at fault. What is the output of:

   lpstat -v hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1

? If it is *not* "/dev/usb/lp0", try to set it to that value, using
the lpadmin command:

   sudo lpadmin -p hp_LaserJet_1005_series_USB_1 -v usb:/dev/usb/lp0 -E

That should help.

I'm not very familiar with USB, but if your above command worked from
the commandline, the same USB addressing should work with CUPS too.

Cheers,
Kurt