Feature request: mandatory "Job-Billing" entry

Alexey Lobanov aal at lobanov.sp.ru
Mon Jun 5 06:41:13 PDT 2006

Hello.

> Strange, since "job-billing" is part of the printing preferences
> (in the devmode structure) and thus can be set per-job.

I agree. Sorry for mistake. Anyway, it does not help: it is too ineffective to enforce an user to visit "Printing preferences" at every job. People won't do it.

> I'm not sure if there would be a way to force the user to enter a
> value here, since the print dialog may never get invoked...

In my understanding, it should be a way, because this driver works in user space and it seems to be possible to add a simple dialog to cupsps.cpp. Somewhere here:

=======
-    if (dm->job_billing[0])
+    if (!dm->job_billing[0])
+    {
+       // No Job-Billing found in registry, and we ask to enter it
+        // in a dialog box
+    }

    // Output the job-billing job ticket...
    sprintf(buffer, "%%cupsJobTicket: job-billing=\"%s\"\n",
            cups_utf16to8(dm->job_billing, utf8, sizeof(utf8)));
    help->DrvWriteSpoolBuf(pdevobj, buffer, strlen(buffer), &bytes);
    cupsDebug(0, L"Wrote: %%cupsJobTicket: job-billing=\"\"\n");

Alexey