problem with large number of printers

christoph fritz.honka at gmx.de
Tue Jun 6 02:45:00 PDT 2006

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

>> hey,
>
> Hey!
>
>> this is somehow more a basic understanding problem on my half maybe.
>
> Hmm... from reading all your mail, I do not have a full understanding of
> your requirements either.
>
> I just guess that your users want to print from clients using KDE... Is
> that right?
Ups,

yes, exactly I just tried KDE because most of my linux users seem to use it
and I thought it will be one of the more 'shiny' implementations on the
client side

> [...]
>
>> So what I need is [....] the user should be able to browse the
>> print-server via a build in desktop tool and install the bunch
>> of printers he/she wants to without having detailed knowledge
>> about the printer hardware. The installed printers should then
>> display individual ppd dependent options like the admin prepared
>> them on the server, sounds normal to me but somehow I'm stuck,
>> any hints someone ????

> I suggest to you to try this on one of the KDE clients:
>
> * start "kprinter";
> * click "System Options" (bottom, 2nd button from left);
> * click "CUPS server" in left column;
> * fill in the "Server information" fields;
> * fill in the user info (if anonymous printing is disallowed);
> * click "OK".
>
> Now see if this setup does what you require. *If* it is what you want, you
> should see the 500 printers on that server in the kprinter dropdown
> listing. This figure is clearly too large; you'll want to filter it.
>
> Alright, then setup such a filter:
>
> * start "kprinter";
> * click "System Options" (bottom, 2nd button from left);
this one is always greyed out no matter if I'm in sysadmin mode or user-mode
(?)

http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdelibs/kdecore/README.kiosk?rev=438982&view=markup
>   http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/kiosk/index.html
>
> Kiosk is able to make the print settings immutable, so users can't mess up
> with the system....
I installed this a minute ago and will try it, I need to get correct
profiles for > 1.500 linux clients so any tool is interesting ;-)

> Hope this helps.
Yes, this helps a lot already thanks, anyway I am surprised that there is a
different quality of printer announcing depending on the client
configuration (browsing/browsepoll/servername) is this intended ?

Thank you for the quick response

cheers
        C. Beyer