[cups.general] Q. Proper way to startup cupsd as a non-rootuseras opposed to debian hacks?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jun 6 08:38:19 PDT 2006

Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
> [...]
>> SuSE has AppArmor, right?  Use it!
>
> Right. But AppArmor is only our second line of defense. First of all
> we want a good strategy of defense in the daemon itself.

and you don't want to use the daemon's built-in defenses, either?

Cupsd already does a *lot* to prevent privilege escalation, and by
running it as an unprivileged user you actually disable that
functionality...  *All* of the CUPS-related advisories in the last
4 years have been in the filters or support programs and not in the
scheduler, backend, or CUPS API code that runs as root.  By running
as an unprivileged user, those issues exposed the whole printing
system instead of an individual print job!