CUPS and

Ryan Hobbs hobbzilla at hobbzilla.com
Tue Jun 6 08:50:50 PDT 2006

I am looking for a way to move out from under the LPRng package. I don't know a whole lot about it, other than people stay away from it and the linux printing how-to does not recommend using it. We are currently using special printer control commands using the Z Control File entry that passes to the ifhp filter. Mainly (and I believe *ONLY*) we use this for is printing text in a condensed format were the pitch has been altered from the default.

I.e. normal print command would be:  lpr -Phplj4
while the condensed would be: lpr -Phplj4 -Zpitch=16.66

Can someone answer me if CUPS can support this? Out of the box, by creating a new filter, etc. etc.