Blank pages printed for postscript files on cups 1.2

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Jun 6 09:36:42 PDT 2006

Damien Brémont <damien.bremont at gmail.com> wrote (Tuesday 06 June 2006
16:43):

> I start thinking that there is a bug in cups !
>
> Here is one example file generated from xfig-3.2.4-17.2
> http://www.lpthe.jussieu.fr/~bremont/test.ps

It says it is a DSC 2.0 file, but it is not!

> I've made a nice painting  :-)
>
> Let me know if you can print through lpr by cups

Indeed it doesn't print with a current CUPS from SVN (r5630) on a
PS3 printer (infotec 2127); to be more precise: it prints a white
page only.

However, it does print when using the "-o raw" option.

Create a file backend printer using "FileDevice Yes" in cupsd.conf,
and do

   lpadmin -p fileprint \
           -v file:/tmp/test-output.ps \
           -E \
           -P /etc/cups/ppd/is2127.ppd"

A quick look at the file that's output by that printer (as a result
of the pstops filter having run) does not tell at first glance what
may be wrong so that it does not print.... It may be that the DSC
structure of the file is not OK.

Maybe one of the more advanced PostScript Gurus on this list can
explain it in more detail?

[ removing the "-Adobe-2.0" from the first line of the original
file makes it print, and it also creates an output from the pstops
filter that is differently "organized" ] .

Cheers,
Kurt