[cups.general] Q. Proper way to startup cupsd as a non-root userasopposed to debian hacks?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Tue Jun 6 11:19:13 PDT 2006

wtautz wrote:
>> FWIW, the following will not work if you don't run as root:
>>
>>     1. Printing and browsing on port 631 (or any port < 1024)
>>     2. Automatic root authentication via certificates.
>>     3. Proxy authentication support (you'll need to hardcode
>>        usernames and passwords in your device URIs again).
>>     4. Local account authentication via PAM (although I've
>>        heard there is now a workaround for this by adding the
>>        user you run cupsd as to a PAM group)
>>     5. LPD printing support.
>>     6. Legacy client support via /etc/printcap and
>>        /etc/printers.conf. This kills printing from GNOME apps
>>        on Solaris 10, for example.
>>     7. (future) Kerberos support.
>>
> Yes. Number 5 is a problem for me. This is why I gave up on ubuntu for
> the server. Thanks for
> the other info. I guess the real issue is security in general, i.e., we
> must have
> some process running as root and assuming there aren't any outright bugs
> in that process one should use some kind of external tool to provide further
> security. Perhaps a chroot?
> Or SeLinux?

Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise Linux already provide a CUPS
policy (for SELinux) that provides additional (sometimes too much! :)
protection/insurance on top of the built-in cupsd security measures
and privilege separation.  I believe the current Fedora Core policies
are up-to-date for CUPS 1.2 - not sure about RHEL though...