Printing Postscript file to HP5500 printer

danesh d.qureshi at mdx.ac.uk
Wed Jun 7 04:42:38 PDT 2006

Hello Kurt,

> danesh <d.qureshi at mdx.ac.uk> wrote (Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:55):
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a PostScript file which does not print to a HP5500HDN >printer.
>
> What exactly is the problem with the file?

Ok I have two issues lets deal with the Postscript issue first.
When I created the print queue I setup the printer type to RAW.

> Can you display the file OK with a PostScript viewer like "gv"?

Yes,I can display the PostScript file with a Ghost Script Viewer.

>http://localhost:631
> > can print Ascii files and the test print to the HP5500HDN printer
> > successfully.
> >
> > I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 3)
> > on a HP Proliant DL585 server.
> >
> > I have the CUPS daemon process running and added the HP5500HDN >printer
> > using the Web interface to CUPS i.e. http://localhost:631.
> >
> > I have looked at error_log file but there no indication of any >errors or
> > problems.
>
> So the file gets sent off successfully to the printer, but the
> printer does.... what?
>http://localhost:631

The Postscript file gets sent from the Redhat Linux server to the Window server the printer queue which has been paused.I can see the file sitting in the print queue but when the print queue on the Windows printer server is started nothing is printed and the print job just disappears from the print queue.

However, I have done some investigation and discovered if a Postscript file is a PS-ADOBE-1.0 then it does not print. But if its a Postscript file with PS-ADOBE-2.0 or PS-ADOBE-3.0 they print successfully to the printer.

> > Can you suggest how I can get my Postscript file printed to the
> > this HP 5500HDN printer?.
>
> Can you explain more in detail what the actual problem with that
> file is? Do other files print OK.

The second issue I have is when I print plain text file to the same printer the output appears to have stair case effect i.e. See example below.

THIS IS LINE ONE
                THIS IS LINE TWO
                                THIS IS LINE THREE

I am more concerned about the second issue and need help how to resolve the carriage return issue in plain text file.

I await your reply.
Dan..