[cups.general] Q. Proper way to startup cupsdasanon-rootuserasopposed to debian hacks?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmx.net
Thu Jun 8 01:52:37 PDT 2006

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> The same problem exists for example for CUPS 1.1.x with
> non-compliant stuff like PPD generation on the fly
> by using Foomatic tools (as far as I know Red Hat's printer
> setup tool did it this way) so that all other printer setup
> tools won't show any of those models which are supported by
> Foomatic and the user may report it as a "CUPS problem" to you.

This one I have already fixed with CUPS 1.2. The current
foomatic-db-engine package has an appropriately adapted foomatic-ppdfile
script which is symlinked as /usr/lib/cups/driver/foomatic, this way
CUPS does the on-the-fly PPD generation for Foomatic PPDs and so all
printer setup tools which use CUPS in the standard way see the full
range of Foomatic PPDs. So pre-building the Foomatic PPDs is not
necessary any more.

The HPLIP USB issue will be fixed in CUPS 1.3 with a new USB backend
which does not use the "usblp" kernel module any more. So you will be
able to use and Epson MF device and an HP MF device on the same machine.
Should one perhaps backport this USB backend into 1.2.x?

   Till