hostname redirected to loopback

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu Jun 8 12:08:05 PDT 2006

> angelb wrote:
> > I apologize for posting and reposting. My previous messages was being
> > posted in pieces. Hopefully this time works.
> >
> > Anyway, a portion of my hosts file follows:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1  loopback localhost
> > .
> > .
> > 10.10.1.1  dev101   # CUPS test server
> >
> > I used this same server, dev101, to install and test CUPS 1.1.23
> > without any issues I see from CUPS 1.2.1 now.
> >
> > Also, why would only the Printing feature from the web interface
> > is reacting this way and why not the others; Admin, Jobs, etc?
>
> Printer URIs get rewritten by the CGI programs, but the other links
> are just relative/absolute paths so they don't have the same issues.
>
> Basically, the code looks at the address portion and compares it to
> the server name that is passed in - if they match, then the URI is
> rewritten to be /printers/foo.  Otherwise you get the full URL
> (http://address/printers/foo).
>
> --

How does printer_uri_supported gets assigned its value? Is it via ServerName or something else? If I understand you correctly, it's
read in from ServerName.

I noticed that when I comment 127.0.0.1 from my hosts file, I'm then
able to access objects from Printers without being redirected. Taking
the comment out redirects me back to loopback. It appears to me that
somehow the /etc/hosts file is being reread, or at least that's what I
see.

Sorry if I'm taking this too far; I just want to understand it and see
if it's the way I configured CUPS, my environment, or something else.

Thanks!
angelb