How to browse printers in web-interface

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jun 9 01:49:32 PDT 2006

tamura <tamura at cs.ricoh.co.jp> wrote (Friday 09 June 2006 01:30):

> Hi,
>
> According to CUPS1.2 new features, it supports web-interface search for
> printers (automatically-discovered printes).

Do you already have printers installed locally? Do you "see" printers
shared by other CUPS servers?

There are 2 things you could be talking about, if you mention "search"
or "auto-discovery":

First, search of one or more printers in the list of already installed
(local or remote) printers: Go to page http://localhost:631/printers ,
locate the "search" field, type in a part of the name, description,
or device URI -- and all printers which match will be displayed. This
one is useful to find one or several printers amongst many.

Second, auto-discover a not-yet-installed printer.  Simply go to the
page http://localhost:631/admin/ ; this will automatically start the
new "snmp" backend, that runs an SNMP auto-discovery of all availabel
network printers on your LAN subnet, compiles a list of installable
printers and offers "Add This Printer" link for each one.

If you happen to use (K)Ubuntu, you'll be disappointed. These distros
have the SNMP auto-discovery disabled. (Maybe others too...). To get
this key functionality back in (K)Ubuntu, create a symlink

   ln -s ../backend-available/snmp /usr/lib/cups/backend/

> My colleague tries to do "Add
> This printer", but, we only see a page to input Printer name etc.

If you *do* see the "Add This Printer"-button, then SNMP auto-discover
did already work. Clicking this button should bring up as the next
page a selection of "Model/Driver for <printer_XYZ_model_IPaddress>",
with the best match already pre-selected (if you *do* have drivers
installed on your system). There's also a "Browse" button that let's
you go to any other location of your file system where you may house
matching PPDs.

> How
> should we do for it? Any configuration is necessary?

No. Just click on "Add This Printer" again (after you looked if the
the pre-selected driver is right).

> Any information is
> welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance.