Store and forward

Retep Grubanov rgrubanov at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 12 01:56:01 PDT 2006

Hello experts,

I would like to configure an environment with one or two master cups servers an 30 client servers. There are 1400 print queues to manage. It's a SAP server environment. Only this master print server is permittet to print to the printers allover the enterprise.

cups-client 1 --+

cups-client 2 --+ --> firewall <--> cups-master-server --> printers

cups-client n --+

My idea was that all queues are managed on the top-server. The cups clients polls this master servers for print queues. So I have one point of management. The problem is the all cups clients must print first to the master-server. Is there a way to force all cups clients to print to master server?

Is there a way to enable store/forward so that print jobs stays queued on clients until the master is available? Also 'lpc status queue' show *no* output, if master server isn't available.

Thanks for all answers and hints .. Retep