[cups.general] hidden config file for printconf

pierre.frenkiel at apc.univ-paris7.fr pierre.frenkiel at apc.univ-paris7.fr
Mon Jun 12 08:00:36 PDT 2006

On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> CUPS has all config files in [install-dir]/etc/cups/* for sure.
> If you want to replicate configurations, don't forget to replicate
> the contents of etc/cups/ppd/* (which holds the driver description
> files); if your RPMs aren't for the same system/version, you'd
> also have to check if ESP Ghostscript is present everywhere, and
> if the CUPS filters and backends are the same in the subdirs of
> /usr/lib/cups/{filter,backend}

   it's what I wanted to do, and I checked that it works. The only frustrating
   thing is that damned system-config-printer tools (a Redhat speciality I
   suppose) which continues to show a printer that I deleted from
   all files known config files. Up to now, it was a Linux characteristic
   to do not hide config files, and I'm still surprised that nobody can answer
   this question.

> --->  However, are you sure you do *at all* want to copy
> --->  the configs to every machine?
      of course: we want to grant access to all printers  to all users

> If you were familiar with CUPS, you'd know you can setup one
> single CUPS print server, and all your clients do pick up all
> . . .

   I know that (you have just to enable the "sharing" on the server
   side, and on the client side to choose "IPP" as queue type, with
   "browsing on" ) That's perfect for a workstation, but not for a laptop,
   for which you want to have a different config according the location.
   For example, I have a D-link print server at home which knows lpd, but
   not IPP

cheers,
--
Pierre Frenkiel