CUPS-Windows v6 Config Problem

Brian White bcwhite at precidia.com
Mon Jun 12 08:13:45 PDT 2006

Just so everyone knows...  This turned out to be a problem with the
"cupsaddsmb" program that comes with Samba.  A bug in the code was
causing it to remove all line terminators.  Windows didn't like that.

The bug report is here:  http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1750

-- Brian

Brian White wrote:
> I've installed the CUPS Windows driver v6.0 in to samba using cupsaddsmb
> v1.2 (which I built myself from source).
>
> After much gnashing of teeth, it installed.  The printers show up under
> my share and I can double-click on the printer to have it connect and
> install the driver.  The print-queue window appears and I can print test
> pages.  So far, so good.
>
> HOWEVER, when I select "properties" from the file menu for my printer
> "Doyle", it tells me:
>
> "The 'Doyle' printer driver is not installed on this computer.  Some
> printer properties will not be accessible unless you install the printer
> driver.  Do you want to install the driver now?"
>

> I originally assumed it meant that it couldn't find a printer driver for
> "Doyle" the printer even though it had appeared to install.  But this
> says it can't find the "Doyle" printer driver, which is (somewhat)
> different.  The "cupsaddsmb" program creates the driver with the same
> name as the printer.  Thus, the printer "Doyle" uses the "Doyle" printer
> driver.
>
> Anyway...  I did a search on C:\ and found "Doyle.BPD" and "Doyle.ppd"
> in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3, so Windows has found and
> copied all 8 files to that directory (cupsui6.dll, cupsps6.dll,
> cups6.ini, pscript.ntf, pscript.hlp, ps5ui.dll, Doyle.ppd, and
> pscript6.dll).
>
> The printer driver "Doyle" is installed and does work.  It just can't be
> _configured_!
>
> Any ideas on this?
>
> Please note:  Even though I used cupsaddsmb v1.2 to install the driver,
> I'm still using cups v1.1.23 for the server.  I can print.  I just can't
> configure it on the WinXP box.

                                           Brian
                                  ( bcwhite at precidia.com )