[cups.general] Need howto for pdf "printer"

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Jun 12 22:51:29 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 11:41:02PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I'd like to have the ability for anyone on a business network consisting
> of a scrambled egg mix of linux and windows boxes of various versions,
> so that each user has available a 'print to pdf' printer he can print
> to, and when he does this, the resultant pdf that cups makes is returned
> to his machine/homedir.
>
> Is this possible?  And if so, where can we find the howto?

You could use the cups-pdf backend available from www.cups.org
(in the Links section I believe). It does what you ask.

As an alternative, if you want more control over which conversions
are done and where the final PDF documents will land,
you could use Tea4CUPS (www.pykota.com/software/tea4cups)
to capture the job and its configuration file to launch ps2pdf
on the job's datas.

bye

Jerome Alet