Store and forward

Retep Grubanov rgrubanov at yahoo.de
Tue Jun 13 02:27:04 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> If you use BrowsePoll and BrowseRelay on a few of the CUPS clients,
> it will use the standard CUPS "store and forward" mechanism.

I mean with store and forward, if the master server isn't temporary
reachable, that print jobs are store on client system and will printed as
soon as the master server is reachable again.

master:/etc/init.d/cups start
client:/etc/cups # a2ps -P OFFICE /etc/hosts
[/etc/hosts (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
[Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the printer `OFFICE'

master:/etc/init.d/cups stop
client:/etc/cups # a2ps -P OFFICE /etc/hosts
[/etc/hosts (plain): 1 page on 1 sheet]
lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable
[Total: 1 page on 1 sheet] sent to the printer `OFFICE'
client:/etc/cups #

master:/etc/init.d/cups start  # Nothing will be printed

> On a few of the CUPS clients (ones that aren't turned off regularly),
> add the following to their cupsd.conf files:
>
>      BrowsePoll cups-master-server-1
>      BrowsePoll cups-master-server-2
>      BrowseRelay 127.0.0.1 local-subnet-broadcast-address
>
> where "local-subnet-broadcast-address" is the broadcast address on
> the client network.

See my cupsd.config(s) below.

An other thing is, that 'lpc status' brings no messages, if master server is
down.

master:/etc/init.d/cups start
client:/etc/cups # lpc status OFFICE
OFFICE:
        printer is on device 'lpd' speed -1
        queuing is enabled
        printing is enabled
        no entries
        daemon present
master:/etc/init.d/cups stop

client:/etc/cups # lpc status OFFICE
client:/etc/cups #

Do I missunderstood someting? Thanks for all replies, Retep

---- Configs ----------

client: cat /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
LogLevel info
Printcap /etc/cups/printcap