redirecting printers

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 14 06:43:51 PDT 2006

Michael De Vlaminck wrote:
> hasn't anybody here ever used or needed printer redirection?
> Because it would be very handy when a printer breaks down. So that I can
> redirect the job from the broken printer to another one.

There is an existing RFE in the CUPS bug database for this...

In the meantime, the "lpmove" command can be used to manually move
jobs that are queued on a disabled queue to another printer for
printing, and you can setup printers or classes that map to the
currently active printer, e.g.:

     lpadmin -p printeralias -E -v ipp://servername/printers/printer1

If "printer1" goes down, run:

     lpadmin -p printeralias -E -v ipp://servername/printers/printer2

to redirect jobs sent to "printeralias" to another printer.