[cups.general] printing of word doc?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Jun 14 13:12:23 PDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:04:00PM +0200, Dietmar Segbert wrote:

> can i print microsoft word (2000) documents with cups or must i convert
> the files before printing with wvWare or so?

Of course this can be done : if you install OpenOffice.org you
can probably automate the process by using :

        $ oowriter -headless -pt HP2100 yourfile.doc

this will print yourfile.doc to the HP2100 printer without displaying
any of the OpenOffice windows, and using CUPS only (no vmware).

Of course your printer has to be configured properly in CUPS before.

I've not tested to configure this as a CUPS filter, and I'm not sure
it would work because probably even in headless mode OpenOffice.org
still needs X, but at least you could try and see what happens.

bye

Jerome Alet