[cups.general] LPR print queues become disabled after printergoes offline

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Jun 14 13:46:47 PDT 2006

Komal Shah wrote:
> Jerome Alet wrote:
>> You either have to install beh from www.linuxprinting.org/beh.html
>> or upgrade to CUPS v1.2 which includes some retry feature.
>>
>> beh is still more complete though I believe.
>>
>> bye
>>
>> Jerome Alet
>
> Hi
>
> I am not able to find mention of this bug fix in release note of cups 1.2.

You'll find it listed as the "printer-error-policy", which is
available on the web interface and in the "what's new" documentation.

In short, this is not an error, but a feature.  Really.  If the
printer breaks for an unknown reason, CUPS stops the queue by default
to avoid loss of data.  The new printer-error-policy attribute allows
you to configure the behavior (retry-job, cancel-job, stop-printer)
that best suites your environment.