Enable/Disable printer queue from command line

Sean McBrien smcbrien at bfsec.bt.co.uk
Thu Jun 15 08:54:18 PDT 2006

Folks,

When I try to disable a printer via the command line:

/usr/bin/disable <printer>

I get the following error:

disable: Forbidden

This also happens with 'enable', any ideas?

The reason I'm doing this is that there is a physical issue with a printer in that it needs rebooted often to get it to print, everytime it is rebooted the CUPS web pages say that the socket has failed ( i assume because it cant find it on the network) if i restart the queues via the web interface it will work fine again so i want to able to start the queues again from the command line rather than throwing xterms etc.

Also, is there a way to configure cupsd.conf to allow remote computers to access the admin web interface rather than just http://localhost:631 on the machine itself?