Enable/Disable printer queue from command line

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Thu Jun 15 16:32:42 PDT 2006

Sean McBrien <smcbrien at bfsec.bt.co.uk> wrote (Thursday 15 June 2006 23:04):

> Ok, great thanks for the info, I got the web bit working fine thanks.

So what did you do to get it working??

Are you aware that this conversation may be kept for history
inside the Google cache, or some mailing list archive, and in
a year or 2 some poor user will have the same problem as you
had, and she'll find *nothing* for helping her with a solution?

> And the enable/disable works fine after a reboot?? (hmm)

Why not?  (assuming your solution came from changing cupsd.conf
appriately, and you have no process which changes back your
modifications upon boot...)

> Just one last question is it possible to use enable/disable with the
> password all in the command line without user intervention.

See my last post...

> ( i want to
> create a shell script and cronjob to stop and start queues amongst other
> tasks)
>
> i was thinking something like:
>
> disable <printer> <password>
>
> I assume this wont work (i cant access the box at the minute to test) and
> will involve a perl script?

You could use the "expect" command as part of your script.
Or you could run it as a cron job using root privileges.

Cheers,
Kurt