[cups.general] When printing a Test Page from cups 1.1.X server to 1.2.1 server I keep getting "guest" as user identification

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 16 10:03:12 PDT 2006

Hi,

Specifically the client poll's the 1.2.1 server (compiled from source on
www.cups.org) and the
client is Ubuntu/Breezy (version 1.1.23-10ubuntu4). It seem that the url
on the client
that indicates print test page points to http:{1.2.1-server}:631 (i.e,
it is not https even though
that's available on the server). Is this expected behaviour? Can I force
the http://servername
connection to be https? (I had assumed that it was already since I
compiled openssl into it) but
sniffit shows it  isn't which is to be expected since it's http, but....

Also,  if I access the administration page on the server via http I get
the upgrade 426 message
where it points to the fact that I should use https, after a few seconds
it takes me there...
so it works but it seems a little annoying to tell me about an error
that really isn't a strict
error?

walter