[cups.general] When printing a Test Page from cups 1.1.X serverto 1.2.1 server I keep getting "guest" as user identification (extranote)

wtautz wtautz at cs.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 16 12:15:32 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:

> wtautz wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Specifically the client poll's the 1.2.1 server (compiled from
>>> source on
>>> www.cups.org) and the
>>> client is Ubuntu/Breezy (version 1.1.23-10ubuntu4). It seem that the
>>> url
>>> on the client
>>> that indicates print test page points to http:{1.2.1-server}:631 (i.e,
>>> it is not https even though
>>> that's available on the server). Is this expected behaviour? Can I
>>> force
>>> the http://servername
>>> connection to be https? (I had assumed that it was already since I
>>> compiled openssl into it) but
>>> sniffit shows it  isn't which is to be expected since it's http,
>>> but....
>>>

>> I should have augmented this by saying that if I connect to
>> the remote printer from the client http://localhost:631 that the
>> user is "guest" whereas if I connect via https to print the
>> test page the user is not "guest" but me as it should be.
>> Is this to be expected?
>

> The browser cached your credentials...

Hi,

Hmm. I tried the shift key and reloaded, shows up as guest user. Command
line tools work fine.  Cleared my cache and restarted browser. Still get
guest user when printing
Test Page via both https and http. Printing an arbitrary webpage works
as me. So I guess
there is no real problem but it is curious. Btw, I'm using firefox on
Ubuntu/breezy.

walter