PassEnv directive not working?

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Sat Jun 17 14:23:20 PDT 2006

My CUPS version is r5673 from SVN trunk.

I'm trying to find out how the new "PassEnv" directive may be
working. From how I understand the reference documentation I only
need to put the name of the env var into cupsd.conf, like

  PassEnv MY_ENV_VARIABLE

to have them passed to child processes of cupsd. I put around 10
different statements with some arbitrary env vars like

  PassEnv KDEDIR
  PassEnv HOME
  PassEnv PWD
  PassEnv QTDIR
  PassEnv HISTSIZE
  PassEnv SHELL
  PassEnv OSTYPE

into cupsd.conf, and try to see them noted in the error_log startup
protocol, or amongst the enumeration like

  [Job 111] envp[0]="CUPS_CACHEDIR=..."
  [Job 111] envp[1]="CUPS_DATADIR=..."
  [Job 111] envp[2]="CUPS_DOCROOT=..."
  [Job 111] envp[25]="FINAL_CONTENT_TYPE=..."

when a job is processed.

My (maybe naive) expectation is that all recognized env vars would
appear in the error_log amongst the others that are enumerated. And
that I could pick up the env var values inside a (self-written)
backend script.

How is this supposed to work?

Thanks,
Kurt