cross-compilation of CUPS?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Jun 19 04:48:09 PDT 2006

none wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I need to cross-compile CUPS for an embedded system. This system is a
> MIPS-architecture. My toolchain works fine with other programms (e.g.
> with QT-Applications, I wrote myself)
>
> What I need to do is running CUPS on that system. I tryed to configure
> CUPS with:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/cups --target mipsel-linux
>
> My toolchain is in $PATH, as I did a export PATH=/opt/toolchain/bin:$PATH
> this worked and is shown, if I use echo $PATH.
> But whenever I try to configure CUPS I get things like
>
> When I run make and make install I get files, which are compiled for
> x86. So what do I need to do, to make cups run on my embedded system?

You'll need to set the CC, CXX, and LD environment variables, or have
your path setup, so that the default compiler and linker point to
your cross-compile tools.

That said, you'll run into some problems with the man page to HTML
conversion program we build and run during the "make" process, and
you can't run "make test".  Also, if the PHP development stuff is
installed on your system, you might need to disable to build of the
scripting/php directory...

In short, right now the CUPS build system isn't designed for easy
cross-compiling...