[cups.general] Re: cups windows driver v6 and printer properties

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Mon Jun 19 13:51:04 PDT 2006

Nicki Messerschmidt, Linksystem Muenchen GmbH <cups at alienn.net> wrote
(Monday 19 June 2006 19:35):

> W. Engelhart said the following:
>> Unfortunately, the problem persists.
>>
>> I've double-checked the configuration on the Windows side. The driver
>> has been copied and registered completely. Unfortunately, Windows
>> does not give any hint how to analyse that problem.
>>
>> Could anybody give me a hint on how to analyse this? It must be a
>> small, weird problem. But without any clue what goes wrong this is
>> impossible to solve.
> I cannout give you a hint, but I can join into the club of people having
> this problem.
> My configuration:
> OS: Debian testing
> Samba: 3.0.22
> Cups: 1.2.1
> Client: Win2k (german) (all patches up2date)
>
> And I would welcome a solution to this problem as well.

Could it be that you are victims of an error in the previous
version of the man page, which suggested a wrong file to use
with cupsaddsmb? (Not sure if that wrong file would cause the
problem you are seeing...)

Check the latest version here (copy of the relevant part):

------- snip --------------------------------------------------
   Once you have extracted the driver files, copy them to the
   /usr/share/cups/drivers directory exactly as named below:

           [Windows 2000 and higher]
           cups6.inf (from www.cups.org)
           cups6.ini (from www.cups.org)
           cupsps6.dll (from www.cups.org)
           cupsui6.dll (from www.cups.org)
           ps5ui.dll (from your Windows system)
           pscript.hlp (from your Windows system)
           pscript.ntf (from your Windows system)
           pscript5.dll (from your Windows system)

The old manpage listed "cupsdrv6.dll" instead of "cupsps6.dll".
(The CUPS website still has the wrong version of the man page,
see http://www.cups.org/str.php?L1785 ).

Cheers,
Kurt