pscms error

David Williams davew at fpdial.co.uk
Thu Jun 22 05:57:36 PDT 2006

> David Williams wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Research in the posts at Linuxprinting.org tells me that my Samsung CLP-510 laser printer needs ppmtosplc and pscms filters to work.
> > I've set the printer up (on Fedora Core 5) but when I send the Cups Test Page to the printer the sheet comes out blank. The error log shows the following lines:
> >
> > [Job 46] execv(/usr/local/samsung/filters/pscms): Permission denied
> > [Job 46] Error trying to call pscms
> > [Job 46] ESP Ghostscript 815.02: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
> >
> > Changing the permissions of the pscms file doesn't make any difference to the error. Could you point me in the right direction please?
>
> This was covered in a post last week.  Basically, SELinux is
> preventing cupsd from running programs outside of /usr/lib/cups...
>
> Search the message archive or go on the Fedora SELinux wiki for
> more info...
>
> --
> Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com

Thanks for this.

I looked at the Fedora Selinux Wiki then used matchpathcon to see the difference in security context between /usr/lib/cups/filter/ and
/usr/local/samsung/filters/
I wasn't able to change the context using chcon (operation not allowed) so I need to learn a bit more about that.

To get things moving temporarily (since I'm only printing from one computer) I followed the Fedora Graphical interface:
Administration > Security Level and Firewall > Selinux > Modify Selinux Policy > Printing > Disable SELinux protection for cupsd daemon.
I ticked the latter and left the other cups items unticked.

Now I've got prints from the cups test page and Open Office. Thanks again.

David.