cups not as a daemon or without ghostscript esp

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jun 22 07:24:51 PDT 2006

Andreas Sumper wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> Is it possible to use CUPS without running it as a daemon? I heard, that
> this should work somehow, but I donĀ“t know, how to use it!

For a full CUPS install, you have to have cupsd running.

If you just want to run as a CUPS client, you can just set the
CUPS_SERVER environment variable, create a ~/.cupsrc file (or
in CUPS 1.2, it moved to ~/.cups/client.conf) with a ServerName
line, or create an /etc/cups/client.conf file with a ServerName
line.  That will point the lp, lpr, etc. commands at the
corresponding server.

> Another thing is, that I would like to use cups without ghostscript esp.
> Is there a possibility to compile cups with "internal" support?

Ghostscript is only needed for printing to non-PostScript printers.