cups not as a daemon or without ghostscript esp

Andreas Sumper sumpi at sbox.tugraz.at
Fri Jun 23 02:39:37 PDT 2006

Bernd Krumböck wrote:
> Andreas Sumper wrote:
>

>>Hi list!
>>
>>Is it possible to use CUPS without running it as a daemon? I heard, that
>>this should work somehow, but I don´t know, how to use it!
>>
>>Another thing is, that I would like to use cups without ghostscript esp.
>>Is there a possibility to compile cups with "internal" support?
>>
>>thanks in advance!
>>Andy
>

> Hello!
>

> This should answer you first question (call cupsd -h):
>
> Usage: cupsd [-c config-file] [-f] [-F] [-h] [-l]
>
> -c config-file      Load alternate configuration file
> -f                  Run in the foreground
> -F                  Run in the foreground but detach
> -h                  Show this usage message
> -l                  Run cupsd from launchd(8)

Okay, I know that. The thing is, how do I have to trigger my
print-coammand, if cups is not running, as evertime I try to us lp or
lpr, I get an error-message saying that cups is not running (could not
connect to server or so)
Should I try to run some sort of script or whatever to make sure, cups
is up and stop him afterwards?

> You can run CUPS without ghostscript, as long your printer driver doesn't
> depend on it. CUPS doesn't depend on ghostscript, but most printer drivers
> do!
>

> Check your PPD files.
>
> example:
> (file LaserJet_1200-Postscript.ppd.gz section *FoomaticRIPCommandLine)
>
> *FoomaticRIPCommandLine: "level=%D; /usr/bin/printf "%%!\n%%%% %%&&
> %%\n%C"; if [ $level -gt 0 ]; then if [ $level -lt 99 ]; then lev&&
> el=" -dLanguageLevel=$level"; else level=""; fi; g&&
> s -q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pswrite$level%A%Z -sOu&&
> tputFile=- -; else cat; fi"
>

> It is not very easy to read but I hope you see following part of the command
> line:
> "...gs -q -dPARANOIDSAFER -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=psw..."
>

> If a PPD File contains the gs command, then you need ghostscript.

thanks for the hint!
So I have to check the files and see, if I manage to get my printers to
work.

kind regards,
Andy