cups not as a daemon or without ghostscript esp

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Fri Jun 23 09:10:16 PDT 2006

Andreas Sumper <sumpi at sbox.tugraz.at> wrote (Friday 23 June 2006 11:39):

> Okay, I know that. The thing is, how do I have to trigger my
> print-coammand, if cups is not running,

Impossible.

lp or lpr (or any other CUPS client command) *need* a CUPS server
("cupsd") to contact and communicate with, and to send their print
jobs to. Either a local one, or a remote one.

If read something about "spoolerless" or "daemonless" printing, it
surely was meant in the sense of "not a *local* spooler".

To directly connect to a remote cupsd from the commandline, use:

  lp -h remote.cups.server.com -d printername -o joboptions /path/to/file

If you use

  lp -d printername -o joboptions /path/to/file

CUPS 1.1 looks for files $HOME/.cupsrc or /etc/cups/client.conf
to find the "Servername some.cups.server" setting (CUPS 1.2 looks
for $HOME/.cups/client.conf and /etc/cups/client.conf). If it finds
these settings, it uses them. These settings may be overriden by the
CUPS_SERVER environment variable.

If CUPS does not find any settings in these files, it simply assumes
and uses "-h localhost".

If any of these does not work, it will tell you "lp: unable to print
file: server-error-service-unavailable".

Cheers,
Kurt