fail-safe printing

Bernd Krumböck krumboeck at universalnet.at
Mon Jun 26 13:40:16 PDT 2006

CLIFTON YUEN wrote:

> Hi
> I'm a newbie to CUPS, so excuse me for my stupidity.
> I've a CUPS server up and running with 5 HP/Xerox Laser Printer.
> I'm in the middle of setting up another CUPS server with exactly the same
> printer name as a fail-safe approach. On all my client, I've the following
> lines in /etc/cups/client.conf: ServerName ps1 # first/main CUPS server
> ServerName ps2 # second CUPS - on my FC5 workstations

ServerName specifies only the default server. If you want to use two or more
cups servers for failover and loadbalancing you have to run a cups daemon
local.

http://www.cups.org/doc-1.1/sam.html#CLIENT_SETUP

> I would like to set it up this way:
> 1. Class named "bw" (black and while laserjet) for all my hp & xerox b&w
> laser printer 2. Class named "color" for all my hp color inkjet or
> laserjet printer 3. both class will be served as "ImplicitClasses" on both
> print servers is it possible??
>
> please advise...
>
> best regards,
> cliff

This should be possible. You need CUPS 1.2.x for nested classes support!
You have to enable ImplicitClasses in cupsd.conf.

best regards!
Bernd