[cups.general] eps printing broken

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Tue Jun 27 12:51:04 PDT 2006

David Bishop <dbishop at micron.com> wrote (Tuesday 27 June 2006 20:21):

[....]
>> What you could do:
>>
>>  a) define a rule that recognizes your b0rken EPS files in a
>>     "my_eps.types" file as "application/vnd.my-eps"
>>  b) use your "ps2ps" as the filter, that handles your new mime
>>     type and produces "application/postscript", defined in
>>     "my_eps.convs"
>
> Quick note, I thought ps2ps was a 'standard' command.  If it's not, (i.e.,
> it's a redhatism), it's just a shell script.  Here is all it does:
>
> gs -q -sDEVICE=pswrite "-sOutputFile=$2" -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER "$1"

Yes, that's the one that ships with Ghostscript.

[....]

>> But your problem may be much simpler... just let us see the EPS
>> files that fail to print...

The test.ps definitely is b0rken:

 a) not compliant to DSC specification ("Document Structuring Conventions")
 b) not compliant to EPS specification

You can find the specs here:

  http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html

Quotes from my 5001.DSC_Spec.pdf file:
    "DSC comments are specified by two percent characters (%%) as the first
     characters on a line (no leading white space)."

One EPS-required DSC-comment is "%%BoundingBox", but that appears as
"%BoundingBox" (single percent sign only).

> Absolutely.  Thanks a ton for helping me figure this out.

On 2 PostScript printers near me the b0rken file still prints with "-o
raw":

  lp -d printername -o raw test.ps

Not sure if you do have PostScript printers?

Cheers,
Kurt