[cups.general] eps printing broken

David Bishop dbishop at micron.com
Tue Jun 27 13:47:49 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 13:51, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> David Bishop <dbishop at micron.com> wrote (Tuesday 27 June 2006 20:21):
> >> But your problem may be much simpler... just let us see the EPS
> >> files that fail to print...
>
> The test.ps definitely is b0rken:
>
>  a) not compliant to DSC specification ("Document Structuring Conventions")
>  b) not compliant to EPS specification
>
> You can find the specs here:
>
>   http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/ps/index_specs.html
>
> Quotes from my 5001.DSC_Spec.pdf file:
>     "DSC comments are specified by two percent characters (%%) as the first
>      characters on a line (no leading white space)."

I'll forward that link to our vendors.  Oh, how I wish there was no such thing
as proprietary software.  Didn't Stallman's original "itch" have to do with
printing?

> One EPS-required DSC-comment is "%%BoundingBox", but that appears as
> "%BoundingBox" (single percent sign only).
>
> > Absolutely.  Thanks a ton for helping me figure this out.
>
> On 2 PostScript printers near me the b0rken file still prints with "-o
> raw":
>
>   lp -d printername -o raw test.ps
>
> Not sure if you do have PostScript printers?

We use almost exclusively PostScript printers.  Mainly HPs with JetDirect
cards.  The only exceptions are some huge Canon copy/scanner/printer/fax/dog
walking machines.  Sending that file in raw mode worked on an HP LaserJet
8150N, but did *not* work on a 5Si (on the 5Si, it didn't do anything at
all).  So I'll probably end up putting the ps2ps filter in place, at least
until our vendors fix their crap.  By the way, would you happen to have an
example of an eps file that works?  I'd like to show the PHBs that eps
printing works, if we could just feed it right.

Again, thanks for the help.
--
Some people remind me of slinkies.  Completely useless,
but it's fun to push them down the stairs. (Anon)

David Bishop