cups-polld uses 99% cpu time

Michael De Vlaminck michael.devlaminck at cs.kuleuven.be
Wed Jun 28 05:40:11 PDT 2006

Hello,

I've configured a cups printsystem with 2 servers and about 200 clients
connecting via cups 1.1 and samba.
The clients are configured to poll the 2 servers for printers. But one
server cups-server is the main server. The other one cups-backup is the
backup server. But cups isn't running on cups-backup due to issues with
the accounting system we use.
So the clients poll there printers from cups-server and get a 'unknown
host' error.
We went "live" this morning and by now we had about 10 complaints that
the cups-polld process uses 99% cpu time. After taking a closer look it
seems like it was the poll process which polls cups-server (the one that
is running) is the one uses that much cpu time.

What can be the cause of this?

thanks in advance

Michael De Vlaminck