Job completition tracing

Kurt Pfeifle kpfeifle at danka.de
Wed Jun 28 08:51:22 PDT 2006

nickelj.post <debinskir at postfinance.ch> wrote (Wednesday 28 June 2006 10:27):

> Hello all,
>
> To some of you this might be a silly question but I searched all google for an answer without success.
>
> I am looking for a way to track in the logfiles if a requested jobs has succesfully finished.

/var/log/cups/page_log has 1 line for each the completed page of a
job.

You can also query for completed jobs from the command line like
this:

  lpstat -W completed -o
  lpstat -W completed -o printername
  lpstat -h remote.cups.server -W completed -o
  lpstat -h remote.cups.server -W completed -o printername

Maybe that does already what you need?

In the error_log file, look for lines that says

   [Job NNN] File 0 is complete.

where "NNN" is the job ID, and "File 0" represents the first file
in the job (you can sent more than one file for the same job).

However, that line only shows up in "LogLevel debug" mode. If you
think it would be a good thing to have that message even in "info"
LogLevel, file a feature request at http://www.cups.org/str.php
and see if you can convince Mike about it.

Cheers,
Kurt