CUPS cannot auto detect the printer on windows 2000 machine

Weimin Ma mwmb2 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 28 18:34:01 PDT 2006

HI,

in my local network there are two HP LaserJet 6L printers. One is connected on a Windows 2K box and the other on a Windows XP box. The "Guest" username of this two windows boxes are disabled. Both printers are shared. It's no problem, from other windows box to print to these two printer.

Problem arises when I try to install these two printers on my Mandriva 2006 box like so:

Open printdrake-->Add Printer-->Auto-detect printers connected to machines running Microsoft Windows

But only the printer on Windows XP box is auto detected. The print on Windows 2K box is missing. If I use "expert mode" and input ip of Win 2K machine, username and password mannuly, nothing helps.

Any suggestions on how CUPS can auto-detect the printer on windows 2K? I
appreciate every reply.

Weimin