changing priority of a queued job

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Jun 29 04:35:12 PDT 2006

dkastens.uos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> changing the priority of a queued job doesn't seem to change the order in which the jobs are printed. If there are 10 big jobs in my queue and I want to print the last one at first, because it's very urgent, what can I do?

You can change the priority via the "lp" command:

     lp -i job-id -q priority

That said, doing so only changes the order of the "pending" jobs
and will not interrupt a job that is currently being printed.  Also,
when printing to a remote server, a job that is queued on the remote
server (which might not be printing yet) can't have its priority
changed on the client - if you know the server's job ID, you can
change the priority on the server.