[cups.general] Re: cups-polld uses 99% cpu time

David Bishop dbishop at micron.com
Thu Jun 29 08:24:40 PDT 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 08:21, angelb wrote:
> > If we change our configuration so that polling isn't used, instead we
> > use client.conf. Will that solve our problem?
> >
> > Michael
>
> I believe it will not. Your only option I see at this point is upgrade
> to 1.2 or purchase ESP's version which contains the fix as was
> previously mentioned.

Well, on our network we have about 1000 clients and 84 printers on 1 server*,
with the clients spread out over about 10 different subnets.  We use
client.conf exclusively, and haven't had any performance issues at all.  And
specifically, since the cups daemons that run on the clients don't poll
(right?), there is no cpu usage there.

So, what I'm saying is, give it a shot.  It's perfectly possible to test out
the client.conf setup on just those people that are complaining, to see if it
works without converting everybody.

*Dual 3.0 GHz PIV w/4 Gigs of RAM

--
Some people remind me of slinkies.  Completely useless,
but it's fun to push them down the stairs. (Anon)

David Bishop