CUPS fails to reccognize parallel port - AGAIN!

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Thu Jun 29 16:21:12 PDT 2006

cups-1.2.0 on FreeBSD-6.1-RELEASE-p2
HP1100 parallel port printer on lpt0.

root at moe /root# dmesg | more
ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppbus0: <Parallel port bus> on ppc0
ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found /NIBBLE/ECP
Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
ppbus0: <Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1100.1.0> PRINTER MLC,PCL,PJL
plip0: <PLIP network interface> on ppbus0
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Printer -=IS=- on, -=IS=- connected, lptest > /dev/lpt0 works.

root at moe /root# find / backend
find: backend: No such file or directory

I have done make deinstall, make reinstall on all the applicable ports, no joy.
The web interface does not auto-detect my printer, nor can I add it for lack of the parallel port choice.
The prior version of cups worked on the same computer with the same version of FreeBSD.

What's wrong?