Globalized PPD strings not showing in web interface

Josh Mathis josh.m at swecoinus.com
Fri Jun 2 10:50:20 PDT 2006

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Josh Mathis wrote:
>> I have added two translations to my ppd (French and German) according
>> to the documentation on the site
>> (http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-ppd.html). cupstestppd
>> says it is ok. However, when I go to the web interface, all of my
>> printer options remain in English.
>
> What are your language preferences set to in your browser?

The preference is set to French.

>> The localhost:631 homepage is localized in my desired language.
>> However, when I go to any other page, it is either all in English or
>> mixed languages. Example: On the home page, the top menu is completely
>> localized, but when I click "Printers", the top menu changes back to
>> English.

> Did you translate the template files in /usr/share/cups/templates to
> a new /usr/share/cups/templates/fr subdirectory?

Actually, I just copied over the es directory to fr, just to test if the
interface would change correctly. I rechecked all my directories and
found that I typed fe instead of fr for the templates directory. Now,
the whole CUPS interface (menus, buttons, etc) is localized, except for
my PPD options when I go to Set Printer Options - they remain in English.

> The home page is a static HTML file, but the other pages are all
> generated on-the-fly.
>
> Also, it would be useful to have a link to your PPD file as well as
> the locale that is reported in the error_log file...

The error_log reads:
locale="fr"...

And it shows the templates coming from the fr directory.

My ppd is located at http://www.joshmathis.com/temp/ttp20x0.ppd

Thanks,
Josh